Sunday, September 30, 2007

Into the Valley of Death

Death Valley that is. We explored the northern half of the valley yesterday. To get there we had to cross the last ridge of the Sierra and head on a long down hill glide. The northern section only goes as low as sea level. We travelled across and then north to a mansion/museum called Scottie's Mansion. It was the summer home of a wealthy midwestern millionaire who befriended a shameless promoter of the Death Valley area. The ride is through country as severe as we've seen. How anything grows here is amazing, but stuff still manages to take hold. The mansion tour is interesting.
I'd planned to take a different route home on roads shown on some local maps. The park personell talked me out of it. They said that only an expert four- wheeler should attempt it. After our excursion at Yosemite, I put myself in that class and was ready to go. Then I turned around and saw Dana about to pass out and decided to go back the way we came. I really hate doing that.
Today's a chore day and football day.

1 comment:

Andy said...

Well...you might have saved your self an expensive air-evac bill!