Sunday, August 12, 2007

The Chuckanut Drive

Dana spent the am at a Bellingham city craft show where streets are blocked off etc., while I checked out ferry and whale watching posabilities. She got some art pottery and I found out that the whales have been further out in the sound, beyond most tourist boat ranges. The orcas are very unpredictable and we hope they come back in today.
After that, we found an article about a scenic by-way called the Chuckanut Drive. It's also known as Rt. 11 and runs from Fairhaven, just south of Bellingham to Burlington, about 25 miles south. The road was built in the late 1800's, and is a windy, twisty one and very narrow. It dips in and out along the rugged coast line and has a number of overlooks to view Bellingham Bay and the Puget Sound. Along the way it passes a few oyster farms and restaurants specializing in oysters. My taste for oysters has been low recently. Somewhere I read an article by a chef out here that oysters should not be eaten raw during warm months and that they are better cooked all the time. Jim and Sandra Carson might disagree with that. Anyway, we passed on this opportunity. The road eventually came out to some flats where a beautiful view of Mt. Baker was revealed in all it's snow-capped glory.
Between these events, I caught a little PGA action, with Tiger leading by between 2 and 5 shots. Hopefully the last round will have some excitement.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Bruce & Dana,

Sooooo glad to hear you’re back in good health, Bruce. I was worried for those few days when there was no new blog to enjoy with my morning coffee----something just wasn’t right-----can’t tell you how much I’ve enjoyed all the eyewitness accounts, clever (?) quips, anecdotes, etc. of your amazing trip to cover almost the entire US.

I think I see a new career for this retiree: author, travel guide, or colour commentator for NBC??? And, Dana, I assume you’re responsible for the outstanding photos-------spectacular!

I especially enjoyed the instant update/coverage of Lydia’s christening in Montana, being Jerilyn and both of her brothers were there. You know how the mother is the last to hear details from her kids (I’m sure that happens in all families!) and they all were having such a blast white-water rafting in addition to visiting with all the Montana cousins. And good for Linda & Chuck to have so many east-coast relatives in Alberton and Missoula all at once----------thank you for the daily updates!

Dana, next time you come back east (?) I want to see what you’ve painted as you traveled across this country. I assume you’re not too far now from a visit with Brad & Kim. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

I miss you guys!

Take care, Sue Riggs